The Switchboard Operator will ensure the patient experience is a pleasant and effortless one. The operator is expected to have the switchboard open and operating promptly at 8:00 a.m. and throughout the day until 6:00 p.m. Relief switchboard coverage will be provided for a one-hour lunch, as well as morning and afternoon breaks of 10 minutes each.
• Answer incoming calls on multi-line phone system; screen calls thoroughly and direct accordingly.
• Professionally administer all incoming calls.
• Greet patients in a professional, friendly, hospitable manner, always identify yourself with name and title.
• Ensure patients confidentiality by adhering to HIPPA policies.
• Identify caller and need, address caller by name, and introduce the person/department to whom the caller will be transferred.
• Take messages as necessary; then distribute messages. Use voice mail whenever possible.
• Verify/update demographic information on all patients
• If making an appointment for an insurance patient, complete all information enabling eligibility accuracy.
• Pay attention to exam and recall schedules at least two days in advance and work to keep all available appointments booked.
• Work recall/broken appointment reports according to department procedures.
• Confirm appointment schedules as directed by a supervisor or designated person.
• Schedule appointments. Answer questions patients may have as related to treatment, if unsure seek assistance.
• Perform any other duties requested by management to insure patient satisfaction.
• Demonstrate attention to detail.
Experience: 1 year of Multi Phone Line/switchoard experience
Bilingual: English - Spanish
Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED);
Language Ability: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one situations to patients, parents, and other employees of the organization.
Math Ability: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of QSI database software.
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Customer Service: Manages difficult or emotional patient situations; responds promptly to patient needs; responds to requests for service and assistance.
Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
Interpersonal: Maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas.
Technical Skills: Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
Team Work: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; welcomes feedback; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures; supports organization's goals.
Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.